The aim of this course is to give paddlers the tools to plan and navigate effectively on coastal journeys in moderate sea conditions.
This will include the following aspects:
- To interpret sources of information including maps, charts, coastal pilots, and tide tables
- To navigate on the water using visual references and simple pilotage techniques e.g. transits, dead reckoning, and a compass
- To be able to source, interpret, and apply a weather forecast to the marine environment
- By the end of the course, each student should have planned at least 2 coastal journeys that they can take home as references for further trip planning
- Students should also be aware of the range of resources they require to plan trips in the coastal environment
- Although not part of the syllabus of the course, students should be made aware of the role of the Coastguard and the value of liaising with them